Thursday, August 12, 2010

09/08
Spent national day over at my Grandma's and then aunt's. it was a loonnnnggg day, partly because i didn't get to see him that day. Anyway while the NDP is playing on TV, one of my aunt was talking about the Japanese Occupation. How she smeared her face with mud so that the Jap soldiers didn't capture her. My other aunt added on that she looked damn pretty in her younger years so if she hadn't done that she would have been..you know.

Then, we were told that my grandfather was supposed to be sent to be beheaded on the lorry by the jap soldiers. But apparently it was full while he was next in the line, and he was told to go away. So he managed to escape death. :)

How lucky eh? Because my dad wasn't born yet when it happened. So if my grand father got on the lorry, we wouldn't have existed. I wouldn't have existed.

I then realised how important our national day is to those who had been through the tough times of the jap occupation. I don't think I can imagine how desperate they felt then, and how relieved and delighted when Singapore managed to be independent. Because to us, the younger generation, national day is just another holiday or merely the 'birthday' of Singapore. But it doesn't really made a great impact on us and we could never really appreciate it or really be proud of our nation.

No comments:

Post a Comment